Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Getting TV Ready

(Eyebrow tinting at Wink Brow Bar -- all natural, vegetable dye)

(The super chic, quoted wall at Wink Brow Bar)

Last segment's makeup selection via my Instagram
There's a method to getting camera ready. As much as I'd like to think the approach is the same every time, I just can't seem to stick to the same method. What I do before I get to the Green Room, if there's one avail, depends on the amount of sleep I got, how much water (or coffee) I've had, and how my skin woke up feeling --- in a happy, bright mood or a dull, "let's beat this" affect. I wish it more more often the former than the latter but, hey a girl can't have it all! 

But I'm always prepared! You already know I tend to overpack.... whether it's shoes (don't ever get to half of them) or makeup, I'm always overloaded with extra stuff. You know, just in case things change up last minute... or in the event there's no Green Room... those times aren't so fun, but I gotta make it work. And so over the years, I've learned really well how to do my makeup and over the last 2 years, refined my look to be camera ready... a whole other kind of application. 

There's lighting to consider. A lot of movement, especially when I'm taping several segments back-to-back for later airing...and of course the look for what I'm talking about. If for fashion, I like an edgier look. If I'm cooking, I like a sexy but natural look. Ultimately, it really depends on how I'm feeling. 

But there are some basics. Like priming. And falsies. And great lip color. And in my case, coloring-in my ultra thin eyebrows. Ugh, the worst thin things ever. That's another story, but I have to color them in a bit to get a fuller but natural look. 

On my 1st Today show segment, I was invited by the super sleek Wink Brow Bar in the Village for an eyebrow tinting. That went super-well and we ended up adding eyelash clusters. The tinting was great but didn't stay on as long as they said, which should have been at least 3 weeks. Mine lasted more like 5 days. But the vegetarian dye was nice and had a great hue. Love the difference it made. It as extremely natural looking but definitely made them look thicker and fuller than they really are. The clusters were the best I've ever had applied but they also fell out after one day when they should have lasted at least one week. 

I won't say a complete fail since they definitely augmented my look the next morning for live TV but not sure how effective the tinting really is. 

And then of course I have the night before ritual which is about 3 glasses of water, washing, cleansing, and applying Orico London Superico Face Oil. Best.stuff.ever. And some of my beauty friends in NY dropped off a lovely good bag filled with goodies to help me prep. I was all over the Lumene Bright Now for my eyes, which I struggle a bit with b/c of lack of sleep -- every hard-working woman's pet peeve. 

But for the day of, I put so much more into it... Green Room or not!

It goes like this:

Moisturize: Love washing with a simple Neutregena grapefruit acne cleanser... especially when it's that time of the month. Been swearing by that for about 6 years now. I move on to toning and moisturizing. I love a variety of moisturizes I'm using these days. For perky eyes, I stick to lotion, cremes that focus stricly on the yes. For vibrancy, Lumene 'Bright Now' and Erno Lazlo eye creams. I use the Erno one at night and the Lumene in the morning. The combo works well! I finish with a few misty sprays of Caudile Beauty Elixir -- the travel size, of course. It's perfection.

Prime: This is key for TV. It equalizes your face and allows your makeup to apply evenly and be more stable. I used Lancome's La Base primer which feels like silk! Love that stuff. And then like the best beauty find ever, I apply L'Oreal's Miracle Blur. That stuff there! It's like airbrush for your face in real life. It's amazing. It mattes the face without matting the face, if you know what I mean. And finally, I finish off with Smashbox's Photo Finish. It has as similar affect as the Miracle Blur, but it's not as matted and has a lovely light colored bronzy and metallic finish which illuminates beautifully. I try not to use it for every day, but it's sooooo good!

Conceal: This is the fun part. L'Oreal's True Match Crayon has been my obsession since they came out. I go through them in about two weeks. I use it everywhere: under eye, blemishes, neck, etc... it does the magic trick of evening out discoloration. And it's not cake. I've put on about 10 girlfriends on this God-sent product.

Foundation: Since I don't always trust MUAs in Green Rooms can really get my complexion right, especially if I'm having a month of brown spots, I start my makeup myself and let them touchup and finish with their really good stuff. I use a few foundations, but L'Oreal's True Match foundation is the best.com. This is liquid goodness. I used that for just about any time I'm wearing makeup. Shiseido and Laura Mercier have great foundations I use, too.

Eyes: Actually, this is my most fun part ever. I travel with one eye palette only, mostly Estée Lauder Bronze Goddess from last summer which is still a charm for me and a two year old Bobbi Brown one.... they're magic. I dibble and dabble in newer ones I have, but not unit I've completely figured out how their blend worlds, I go with what I know well. I still use single colors in little pots. Eyeliner go-to is either Bobbi Brown Khol versions, Smashbox  3D liner in French Navy or Artistry Beauty's metallic.... my absolute favorite. And for mascara, a woman's best beauty friend, Smashbox's Full Exposure is naaaaasty good! Try it out, ladies. It's everything in mascara. But I apply that after faslies! And I've recently been loving on Lancome's Hypnose wand. It's super light and gives great texture. Finally, I finish with a touch up under my eyes again... Lancome's liquid concealer pen is great. It's small enough to take anywhere.

Powder: Lancome's pressed powders are good. Super light... probably the lightest I've ever used but it does the job... A really good job.

Blush: I've been using Artistry Beauty's coral blush from last season. But it's so pretty and the round gold compact makes it great. It have lovely shimmer but not too much which could interfere with studio lighting. I also use my good old faithful MAC but I'm not sure of the color.

Highlighter: I have several highlighters I used depending on how badly I need it! his last appearance, I told the nicest one I've worked with yet, to hook up my upper cheekbone, chin and forehead. If I do myself, Urban Decay's Naked Illuminated powder and Laura Mercier illuminizing bronzers give that last touch of "I'm ready!"

Lips: I let the MUAs do this part, but sometimes I like arriviting on set fully done... And if so, I always have a good stash of glosses and lipsticks. My go-tos are Laura Mercier 'Peony' (this entire summer), Artistry Beauty lip glosses, like Plum Glaze, NYC color crayons, and Estée Lauder pure envy matted sticks. Matte lips with a simple dip in the glitz jar is key!

And that's how it goes! I love doing my own makeup but sometimes a girl needs those amazing MUA hands' tools an tricks to finish it all off. God bless them!

Stay tuned for my look on the last Today show segment where the gorgeous Jennifer Lopez and I hung out.
Follow the sexy & delicious fun on TWITTERFACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM  | GOOGLE + :) 



0 comments:

© 2011 B So Chic!™ : Chronicles of a Hat & Shoe Queen (& A Boutique!), AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena